Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Whispers




Recently I read a devotion about Holy Spirit "nudgings," where the author described specific times in her life where she felt loudly and particularly directed by the Holy Spirit to do certain things or to say certain things. The American Heritage Dictionary defines the word "nudge" (which originated from a Yiddish word meaning "pester") as: "to annoy persistently; pester; to complain or carp persistently; to push against gently, especially in order to gain attention or give a signal; push into action by pestering or annoying gently."


A few days later I was thinking about television's popular ghost whisperers and about Hollywood's horse whisperers. I may be decent at identifying and acting upon Holy Spirit nudgings, because they are usually recurrent, and, even annoying. Then, I began wondering if I might be missing the Holy Spirit's whispers (the most important whispers of all).


Whispers are defined as: "soft speech produced without full voices; low rustling sounds; speaking or uttering very softly; speaking quietly and privately, to say or tell privately or secretly." Although I have never heard God's voice audibly at a normal level or at a whisper, I think God's whispers are especially gentle nudges; i.e., they are quieter in nature. They come in the form of His word, a reminder from or fellowship with a godly friend, or a strong thought permeating my mind when I pray. Thus, am I listening to the gentle, quiet whispers or rustlings of the Holy Spirit, who resides within me?


"But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you." John 14:26


Am I listening to the quiet teachings of my Counselor, the Holy Spirit?


[God's Sovereign Choice] "I speak the truth in Christ - I am not lying, my conscience confirms it in the Holy Spirit - " Romans 9:1



"After they prayed, the place where they were meeting was shaken. And they were filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God boldly." Acts 4:31


When I am with an unbelieving friend or family member, am I speaking words given to me by the Holy Spirit, or am I rushing ahead with my own? Am I waiting upon the Lord? Then, when I am sure that it is His truth and prodding that I have received, am I bold and unashamed to share the Gospel? Am I eager to proclaim Jesus? Am I listening to all of God's nudges and reminders?


"for the Holy Spirit will teach you at that time what you should say." Luke 12:12


[On Cyprus] "The two of them, sent on their way by the Holy Spirit, wend down to Selecuia and sailed from there to Cyprus." Acts 13:4


"but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." Acts 1:8



Am I receptive about being sent out by the whispers of the Holy Spirit?



"And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out His love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom He has given us." Romans 5:5



"But Stephen, full of the Holy Spirit, looked up to heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God." Acts 7:55



Am I asking God to continually refresh and refill me in the Holy Spirit, so I may truly pay attention to all of His whispers? Or, am I resisting the whispers of the Holy Spirit? Do I need to hush my mind, hush my spirit, and listen more closely?



"A word was secretly brought to me, my ears caught a whisper of it." Job 4:12



"And these are but the outer fringe of His works;

how faint the whisper we hear of Him!

who then can understand the thunder of His power?"

Job 26:14


Lord, You have blessed me with Your Word, Your people, and Your Spirit. Thank you for sending the Holy Spirit to enable me, to counsel me, to refresh me, and to guide me in prayer. Thank you for the fellowship I have with Your children. Thank you for giving me words to speak at Your time, so I may witness about who You are! Help me to shush myself, so I may look heavenward to see Your glory. Enable my ears to not only hear your thunder, but to hear your faint whispers and murmurs! Amen.












No comments:

Post a Comment