Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Debate or Discussion?


"Pride only breeds quarrels, but wisdom is found in those who take advice." Proverbs 13:10


I grew up in a family of strong-willed, intelligent thinkers, who found immense pleasure in debating current events or random topics. Normally, discussing current issues is not a negative exercise because minds are sharpened, opinions are solidified, and truths may be identified. However, often coupled with those positives were positions that each of us had to have the last word and / or one of us had to be right. Intellectual discussions often moved to heated, loud altercations, as each person vied to be the winner.


Since then, I have taken the following thoughts by Beth Moore seriously {Praying God's Word, Breaking Free from Spiritual Strongholds, pgs. 59-60, Broadman & Holman Publishers, Nashville, Tennessee, 2000}:


"My Name is Pride. I am a cheater.
I cheat you of your God-given destiny...because
you demand your own way.
I cheat you of contentment...because you
'deserve better than this.'
I cheat you of knowledge...because you already
know it all.
I cheat you of healing...because you're too full of
me to forgive.
I cheat you of holiness...because you refuse to
admit when you're wrong.
I cheat you of vision...because you'd rather look
in the mirror than out a window.
I cheat you of genuine friendship...because
nobody's going to know the real you.
I cheat you of love...because real romance
demands sacrifice.
I cheat you of greatness in heaven...because you
refuse to wash another's feet on earth.
I cheat you of God's glory...because I convince
you to seek your own.
My name is Pride. I am a cheater.
You like me because you think I'm always looking
out for you. Untrue.
I'm looking to make a fool of you.
God has so much for you, I admit, but don't worry...
If you stick with me
You'll never know."


Humans have no business thinking we know it all, and we certainly have no claim or right to thinking we are never wrong. Let us seek out the areas of pride in our lives. Let us set aside any propensity for debating issues just to be in the center of the spotlight.


Instead, let us move from "me-itis" to focus directly upon God and His truths. Let us move to hearts of humility and seeking His will in everything.


Lord, today make me squirm as I seek out the prideful attitudes of my heart. Make me clearly see what I need to turn over to You. Continue to transform me into that servant of humility you intend me to be. I want to live only for Your Glory, not mine. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment