Friday, August 20, 2010

Contentment in Chaos


Watching frenzied media rant and rave to make news, rather than report it, gives me a stomachache. constantly they focus on the chaos of the world, weather catastrophes, financial institution crashes, economic downturns, crises caused by people of no integrity, and the consequences of a sinful, decadent "It's all about me!" population. During election time, my blood pressure bubbled skyward as I heard politician after politician lie, and subsequently saw one journalist after another defend the liars.


I am, however, learning to turn off the television to avoid these paroxysms of insane reportings. I make sure I am informed of important events and issues, but I am choosing contentment. I am no longer listening to manic madness hour after hour.

My attentions are being refocused on THE truth teller, THE promise keeper. I am setting my sights on Christ, and I am depending upon His Sovereign control over this world's mess. I literally choose to claim the promises we have through Him and in Him. I can either live my life in peace, calmness, comfort, and contentment, or I can subscribe to the convulvise fear mongering that is purposefully presented to us as our fate.

So, where am I intentionally focusing all of my attentions? I am digging into the perfect manual, the perfect handbook:


Philippians 4:11-13

"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."


1 Thessalonians 5:18

"give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."


2 Corinthians 10:5

"We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."


Philippians 4:4-9

"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things. What you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me - put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you."


Hebrews 10:23

"Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for He who promised is faithful."


Father, I pray you will protect me from buying into a frenzied, fearful existence. I pray you will guide me to a peaceful, purposeful, and praiseworthy place where You are my ALL! May the chaos and turmoil of these times not affect how I live my life as your servant and child. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment