Sunday, August 8, 2010

Captive


My father served as a Marine in two wars. Actually, he was an ex-Marine by the time I came along. I observed many marvelous traits in him, which I think were honed by the military. However, I also grew up hearing colorful and often inappropriate language in our household. If my daddy had a thought or an opinion, whether it was positive or negative, in about 30 seconds or less, I heard all of it, and often I heard it at a high decibel. We all knew exactly where he stood on issues, but those opinions did not always coincide with God's Word.


Consequently, in particularly stressful situations, my first thoughts and words are not always of the Lord. Inappropriate worldly thoughts seem to automatically surface, and invariably my earthly father's Marine language pops into my head and then explodes from my mouth. When I first read these verses telling me to take my thoughts captive, I had to examine what the word captive means.

"We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." 2 Corinthians 10:5

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things." Philippians 4:8


The NAS Bible translates 2 Corinthians 10:5 in this way, "We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ."

I literally am called to capture my mind, to forcibly confine, keep under restraint, or control my thoughts, which would then directly affect my resulting words and behaviors.

In war, when enemies were seized, often they were treated abominably, cruelly, and were even beaten and imprisoned under horrific conditions. Jewish captives were literally carted off to foreign countries and cultures. Paul was held captive in a dank, dark, cold, musty prison. Such prisoners (except maybe Paul) did not accept their captures docilely or calmly. They were combative. They kicked, scratched, punched, and bit their attackers.

So... how then, am I to take my thoughts captive?

Philippians 4:8 answers that question clearly. Instead of allowing my mind to dwell on worldly teachings or allowing my mouth to spout inappropriate language, I am to immediately begin consciously placing those false thoughts into confinement. Visualize placing a huge, jam-packed, bulging, kitchen garbage bag into the outside trashcan, placing the lid tightly over the can, and then walking away.

I need to treat my mind, its emotions, ideas, feelings, and subsequent words similarly. Deliberately and willfully, I must turn my mind to that which is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, and admirable; i.e., to God and His Word. Memorized scripture verses foster and advance this process. Anything excellent or praiseworthy, according to God, should be where I intentionally land my mind.


Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for warning that thoughts and words need to be intentionally and consciously held captive. Picking up false notions, bad vernacular, even from loved ones, is not what You intended. Your desire is for Your children to remain pointedly focused on You. I am to demolish those initial tendencies, willfully taking each and every thought captive, and making it obedient to Christ. Oh, Lord, that you might instruct me and enable me to consistently get rid of the garbage in my mind and in my speech. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment