Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Faith Healed Her

"While He was saying this, a ruler came and knelt before Him and said, 'My daughter has just died. But come and put your hand on her, and she will live.' Jesus got up and went with him, and so did His disciples. Just then a woman who had been subject to bleeding for twelve years came up behind Him and touched the edge of His cloak. She said to herself, 'If I only touch His cloak, I will be healed.' Jesus turned and saw her. 'Take heart, daughter,' He said, 'your faith has healed you.' And the woman was healed from that moment." Matthew 9:18-22 (cf. Mark 5:24-34)

In April 2002, a friend asked me to share my favorite Bible miracle with her. At first I thought her request was odd, but I soon discoved that decideing which of Jesus' miracles was my favorite was a profound exercise. I chose Matthew 9:18-22 (cf. Mark 5:24-34).

A lowly, pitiful, afflicted woman had so much faith that she knew if she touched just the edge of Jesus' cloak she would be healed. Her 12-year illness branded her ceremonially unclean (Leviticus 15:25-33), and she was shunned and ostracized. Anyone she touched was also considered "unclean", so the fact that Jesus warmly and openly received her touch was nothing less than amazing. He loved the unlovable.

Doctors prodded, poked, and treated her, yet to no avail. Her condition worsened from their ministrations. Her existence was wretched, lonely, and dismal, yet she pushes her way purposefully and steadfastly though a large crowd because she heard about Jesus. Her actions were faith personified. This woman believed in Jesus' authority without question; she recognized she needed His help; she humbled herself more than the so-called religious ones, and Jesus demonstrated His healing intervention and power to its fullest. He healed her physical malady immediately, and He healed her emotionally and mentally, as well, (Mark 5:29, "Immediately her bleeding stopped and she felt in her body that she was freed from her suffering.") She was healed becaus God graciously determined to heal her. Then, Jesus would not allow her to recede into the crowd with publicly commended her faith and assuring her that she was permanently healed. That public declaration would have restored her to the community who had shunned her. All I can say is, "WOW!" and "AMEN!"

Jesus is still willing and eager to touch us in our brokenness that we might be made whole. Whether our malady is physical, mental, emotional, or spiritual, we must come to Him with full faith that in His perfect timing, He will heal us. Through faith, our "wait" can be just as blessed, as an actual complete healing.

Lord, thank You for teaching me once again to come to You in full faith. Many of my expectations revolve around my timing, and I am learning that I must wait upon You. Even if healing does not come until I see You face to face, I praise You now for Your promises, knowing that they are absolute and true. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment