Wednesday, July 14, 2010

My Moniker

The moniker "VolleymomDee" originated over a decade ago. My husband, Dan, was coaching our daughter's travel volleyball team, and I was "volunteered" to be the team chaperone. I thought I was agreeing to be the team mom, the encourager. I was clueless about what the role really entailed. I was the pack mule for First Aid creams, ribbons, make-up, hairbrushes, feminine products, deodorants, water bottles, extra pillows, and snacks. I made travel arrangements and kept track of finances, hotel reservations, room assignments, and tournament locations. I made sure every player had a clean uniform. As a detail-obsessed individual, I managed my tasks successfully.



What I didn't realize was just how attached I would become to these amazing young ladies. As I listened to their tirades when things did not go well and participated in their celebrations, God gave me short glimpses of who they were to become - beautiful, intelligent, successful women. Some are now mothers, some are career-focused, and some juggle both. I look back on that time with such joy, and I am delighted the nickname, "VolleymomDee," remains.

No comments:

Post a Comment