Monday, July 26, 2010

A Better Cure Than Windex


God has given me an odd sense of humor. The other day I was doing some light cleaning with Windex. It is a great remedy for hairspray on bathroom countertops (it saved my sanity when our daughter was home), shining stainless steel stovetops or sinks, cleaning toasters, microwaves, and refrigerators, and removing toothpaste from mirrors. As I was buffing away, I thought of the movie, "My Big Fat Greek Wedding," and I remembered that the dad, Michael Constantine, considered Windex a "cure-all" for everything from psoriasis to poison ivy.




Suddenly I thought - we should all bring our Windex bottles to church to squirt (anoint) our dear pastor, who is battling pancreatic cancer. When I finished laughing at that image of a congregation soaking its beloved pastor with Windex, I thought of Jesus. He is our Great Physician, our Healer, and our only genuine and perfect "Cure-All". He can remove any or all of our aches and pains according to His will and purpose.


We must turn to Him in faith, asking Him specifically for healing for our friends and families, and then trusting Him to accomplish the will of His Father. We must confidently rely on His answers, whether they are what we want or expect.

"The centurion heard of Jesus and sent some elders of the Jews to Him, asking Him to come and heal his servant. When they came to Jesus, they pleaded earnestly with Him, 'This man deserves to have you do this, because he loves our nation and has built our synagogue.' So Jesus went with them. He was not far from the house when the centurion sent friends to say to Him: 'Lord, don't trouble yourself, for I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. That is why I did not even consider myself worthy to come to you. but say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, 'Go,' and he goes; and that one, 'Come,' and he comes. I say to my servant, 'Do this,' and he does it.' When Jesus heard this, He was amazed at him, and turning to the crowd following Him He said, 'I tell you, I have not found such great faith even in Israel.' Then the men who had been sent returned to the house and found the servant well. When the men came to Jesus, they said, 'John the Baptist sent us to you to ask, 'Are you the one who was to come, or should we expect someone else?' At that very time Jesus cured many who had diseases, sicknesses and evil spirits, and gave sight to many who were blind. So He replied to the messengers, 'Go back and report to John what you have seen and heard: The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is preached to the poor. Blessed is the man who does not fall away on account of me.'" Luke 7:3-10; 20-23


Dear Father, thank you for Jesus, the Greatest Physician of all times. Let me never try to use earthly solutions alone. Teach me to count on Christ, to have such faith as the centurion, laying before Him my desires for healing, and knowing the answer will be the perfect one. In His Name I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment