Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Mosquitoes and Doggles


Today I saw something that was burst-out-laughing funny. A coworker at my husband's office brought in a photgraph of her dog wearing turquoise blue goggles. The dog was sitting in the driver's seat of a golf cart. This pooch loves riding in a golf cart, and her poor eyes were getting blasted by bugs. Solution? Her owner purchased dog goggles, which are actually called doggles, so she could still enjoy her rides.


I have never seen a dog with goggles. I have never even considered that a dog might need them. Advertisements promote this eyewear as perfect for the fashionable dog, great to protect a pet's eyes from harmful UV rays, wind, and dust. They are padded, are made of shatterproof polycarbonate, and have extra flexible comfortable rubber frames and anti-fog lenses. They are the preferred choice for search and rescue, police, and military dogs, hunting, and working dogs.


I am supportive of protecting a pet's eyes from wind, foreign debris, and the sun's rays. I support protecting their eyes for medical reasons, but when marketers use phrases like, "Your pet deserves these," or "These are perfect for the fashion conscious pup!", I have to shake my head in disbelief. Websites list prices from $9.49 to $30.00, and these doggie sunglasses are literally being marketed as fashion musts. Naturally, since pets deserve the best, multiple frames, sizes, and a dozen or so different colors are offered for the stylish, discerning dog.


Wikipedia says, "Despite being listed as one of the 'Most useless inventions ever,' Doggles were ranked #6 in a list of '11 ideas that shouldn't have worked - but made millions' by MSN Money, and by 2004, (doggles) were being sold in 4,500 shops in 16 countries and now include the option of prescription lenses."


Yikes! Let me just say, before I rush out to purchase doggles with racing flames for my granddog Ellie, I will pause. I will make sure that the wind is actually blasting our faces and our eyes with mosquitoes, and then, and only then, will I put on our goggles and enjoy life's ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment