Monday, August 4, 2014

Numbered Hairs




Have you ever had a Phyllis Diller hair day?  Younger readers may not know of Ms. Diller, but she was an accomplished stand-up comedienne, who was best known for her eccentric stage presence, her voice, her wisecracks, her unique attire, and especially for her wild-looking hair.  Modern cartoonists might sketch her with her finger in an electrical socket with her hair every which way.  Every hair seemed to be sticking up and out in all directions.

I am an under-the covers sleeper, so I encounter this laughable look almost every morning in my mirror.  The times I had permed hair and was unexpectedly caught in a rain storm or was caught outside in our Indiana humidity without gel or hairspray, my hair looked even more preposterous.   Ugh!

What if I told you that our dear heavenly Father knows every single wild hair on our ridiculous-looking heads?  He has numbered them!!  The Bible tells us this truth.

“Are not two sparrows sold for a penny?  Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father.  And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered.  So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.”  Matthew 10:29-31

If He knows, or perhaps I should say, if He cares about the number of hairs on our heads, how much more must He care about every aspect of our beings and our lives.  Our weariness is His concern.  Our burdens trouble Him because they often overwhelm us.  Our joys are His delight.  Nothing we encounter on this earth, in this life, is insignificant to Him.  Let me repeat that - nothing we encounter is insignificant to Him.   He intentionally concerns Himself, not only with the number of hairs we have, but He deeply cares about us.  Every single detail of our lives matters to Him.

In the ragged, hair-askew moments and days, pause and take time to consider that our heavenly Father wants us to bring every aspect of our lives into our conversations with Him.  Nothing comes into our lives that has not passed through His loving, capable hands.  Tell Him directly about each hair-raising problem, concern, or challenge.  He knows our anxieties, our thoughts, and our words before they are even formed or spoken.  He knows the past, the present, and the future.  Trust Him to lay down those frazzled frizzies in His time.

Lord, when life frazzles me and turns my tresses into frizzies, remind me to bring every puny, trivial-seeming detail directly to You.  May I take a huge deep breath and ponder You.  In the midst of what I consider unbearable chaos, remind me to depend upon You because You are trustworthy.  May I just quietly sit in Your presence listening and waiting for Your presence to lead me and comfort me.  You lovingly and tenderly watch after the sparrows You created; how much more will You watch after and over me!!  Fill my heart with Your assurance, so I may move forward, unafraid.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment