Monday, December 13, 2010

Preparing the Perfect House



Deciding what's for dinner, what clothes to wear, and even what vehicles to buy are breezy decisions for my husband and me! We make those determinations quickly, if not impulsively, but we mull over important decisions for a painfully long time.


We spent almost 4 years contemplating if we were going to place our house of 32 years on the market. I know that sounds like a terribly long time to reach any conclusion, but my husband literally built our home, one board and one nail at a time. His drops of perspiration probably christened every board. Consequently, he had a tough time actually putting a for- sale sign in our front yard.


I, on the other hand, have been eager to move. After a nasty fall in Pittsburgh in which I tore tendons and ligaments in my ankle, I discovered navigating our stairs on my rumpus to our bedroom was not a process I wanted to repeat... ever. That painful and almost impossible feat prompted me to think about moving to a house with a master bedroom on the main floor. Then, as my hips and knees started rebelling loudly each and every time I tackled the stairs, I became even more resolved to move.


Finally after great deliberation, we both felt at peace about selling. However, once the listing contract was signed, I became impatient. I kept thinking, "The decisions have all been made, let's get this show on the road!" I wanted our house to sell immediately, regardless of how unrealistic that was. I was especially anxious to find and purchase our next home because I yearn for our next chapter to begin.


Our house has not sold in its first month on the market (don't laugh too loudly; I know that was impractical). Realism has taken no part in my anxious moments. I have worried that when our house finally sells, none of the houses on our wish list will be available. I have had nightmares about being "homeless" or stuck in a house I absolutely do not want. If you can think of a worry or a concern relative to selling and buying a house, I have experienced it.


During this sinful state of not trusting God, a dear sweet young friend at my ladies' Bible study, gave me practical, biblical, encouragement. She shared she had experienced similar anxieties when her family initially moved to our town. She even experienced disappointment when the house she thought was perfect fell through. Then, came her punch line - "The house we ended up in was perfect for us, and we didn't have to do anything to move in. When you are anxious, think that God is preparing the perfect house for you, and it is not ready yet."


Hmmm, those words were wise beyond her years! The following nights when I began getting anxious, I remembered, "God is preparing the perfect house for you, but it is not ready yet."


During this same time, our dear precious pastor, who valiantly battled pancreatic cancer for over a year, came home from the hospital to await his move to his most perfect house. John 14:2 tells us, "My Father's house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you?"


Many times I have thought about my loved ones residing in mansions Jesus prepared especially for them, and I am comforted. I feel an enormous sense of peace about the Lord's heavenly house because we Christians are guaranteed a reservation. There will be no homeless situations, and the abode will be absolutely and totally perfect.


The Lord, through my young friend, and through the testimony and witness of my pastor and his family, is teaching me invaluable lessons. The sale of my home will be in God's perfect timing, if it is His will. He will work out every single detail impeccably, so I must lay my cares, concerns, and anxieties at His feet (over and over again if that is necessary). My job is to wait patiently and peacefully, trusting Him completely.


Just as Jesus comforted His disciples, may His words in John 14:1-4 be a balm to me and to others in every-day relatively insignificant concerns and in serious situations.


“Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.  You know the way to the place where I am going.”


May we know beyond a shadow of a doubt that our prayers are heard and are answered exactly as they should be in God's flawless timing in His supreme plan.


"I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life. This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.  And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him." 1 John 5:13-15


"You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you. Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord, is the Rock eternal." Isaiah 26:3,4


Dear Heavenly Father,


I know you love us and want what is best for us. Living through life's small bumps is the beginning of our trust journey. May you teach us and strengthen us through these inconsequential decisions and worries, so we might be more prepared for the serious ones. May you be gracious enough to equip us to move forward in blind trust because you are worthy of our confidence. Doing so is certainly the definition of living a life of faith and peace. In Jesus' most precious name I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment