Saturday, October 23, 2010

Patient Endurance







Word of warning to husbands - if you ever use a sander in your houses, particularly in the master bedroom, sweep up the dust immediately - cleaning fairies do not exist, and Hazel the maid is dead!


One rainy Saturday my dear husband decided to use a sander on our bedroom door because it had been sticking. Then, he happily sanded (yes, he loves his power tools!) a sliding closet door that needed to be prepared before it could be painted. I was in another part of the house, and occasionally I heard a strange vibrating noise, but I did not investigate. Actually, I walked into our bedroom at 10 P.M. to get my robe, and suddenly my eyes landed on the one-half inch thick dust on each one of the dressers! I could not believe my eyes. I was stunned! I started dusting and sweeping, and halfway through my cleaning frenzy, my husband, rather foolishly, came and inquired about what I was doing . . . he wanted to go to bed . . . Let's just say, his bedtime was delayed, and by God's grace, he lived!

You might surmise from my reaction that I am not patient. I have tried counting to ten, but I do not have one patient bone or fiber in my body. I literally expect tasks to be done right this red hot minute (or yesterday is even better), so I fully expected him to sweep up his dust and mess immediately after he finished the sanding part of his project. I absolutely did not want to enter the bedroom at 10 P.M. to find a disgusting mess.

I am ashamed to confess that I went to bed in a huff.

The next day as I was doing my devotions, I discovered that the word "perseverance" means "patient endurance." I never thought of putting the word "patient" with "endurance". Not only are we, as sojourners or foreigners on this earth, supposed to plod ahead with our eyes on the end goal (JESUS), but we are to be patient about our trials. Yipes! If I was frustrated and huffy about a little dust, how then might I react when a true trial pops up?

I did not like how squirmy I felt as I read 2 Peter 1:3-4. God wants to empower me to make it to the finish line. He wants me to persevere, and that means I should be longsuffering, forbearing, and graciously indulgent. If I cannot endure these minor bumps with grace and mercy, how on earth am I going to face severe challenges?

"His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and goodness. Through these He has given us His very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires."

My behavior was just plain evil. I was called by the One, who is full of mercy, grace, and goodness to act similarly, and I failed miserably. I did not need to be a doormat, but I certainly did not need to go to sleep in a total huff over such a teeny, tiny, inconsequential inconvenience.

Yuk! I was acting immaturely, just like a child stomping her foot in a temper tantrum. I did not want to be patient or kind, and I wanted the muss and fuss gone immediately. I am so glad God does not think or act as I do, or I would still be the same person I was before salvation, or worse, yet, I would still be lost.

I truly love the reminder in 2 Peter 1:3-4 that my success in making it to the finish line has to do with God's empowerment, not my own. My calling is not by my glory or goodness, but by His, so I know my sanctification (my transformation process) will come to fruition!

His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge (not head knowledge, but knowing Him intimately) of Him who called us by His own glory and goodness. Through these He has given me His very great and precious promises, so that through them I may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.

James 1:4 says, "Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."

James went so far as to tell us to consider trials a joy! My whiny tantrum over dust certainly was not exhibiting patient endurance, much less joy! When I was failing miserably to demonstrate God's mercy and grace, I should have turned to my heavenly Father, who wants to teach me and empower me, and I should have asked for His help and enabling. He never seems to give us instructions without giving us the means to be victorious!

"With man [and with woman too] this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

If I learn to have victory over these small mini-trials with God's help, I should be more prepared to face bigger ones!

Dear Heavenly Father,
Help me find my staying power that I know is buried in me. Help me face these small trivial circumstances with patient endurance, so I might be mature and complete enough to persevere with resolution and resignation when bigger hurdles arise. Don't let me trip over a half inch of dust! Help me turn my childish tantrums into spunky resolve to plod ahead, so you might receive all of the praise, honor, and glory you deserve from me! Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment